Apr 23, 2012

Mata-rodona



Mata-Rodona is the name of a "masia" that lies within the boundaries of the natural park of Sant Llorenç Del Munt. Not at all is it unknown to me, for I've been there several times since last year, both on foot and by bike. A Catalan flag flies on a rock above the estate, but despite of several previous attempts to get to it, it wasn't until last Saturday, that I have finally managed to do so.


Puig Soler and Montserrat as seen from the vicinity of Sant Jaume
Two possibilities exist to reach the senyera, as the Catalan flag is called. The first route, being the longer one, first steeply ascends to another masia called Puigdoure. Almost there, in a left turn, a small path leads to the right, supposedly going straight to the symbol of Catalan identity. I took that path once, but didn't actually continue it up to the flag for lack of time. The spot is so far from home, that when I want to go there after work, by the time I arrive there it gets dark and I still have to return home.
The shorter route on the other hand goes straight to Mata-Rodona, but once there you still somehow have to deal with the wall of rocks. Although I knew that there was a way up to the flag, in none of my previous visits I found it. Once, I even tried to climb the wall at different points, but in the end all the routes I tried myself at turned out too risky a business and after several hours I finally withdrew from it.
Spring and well of Mata-Rodona
Last Saturday then was different; firstly I had plenty of daylight time and moreover I knew where to look for the hidden path. Xavi from my local Centre Excursionista had given me a hint and provided with that new bit of information, the path turned out not to be well hidden at all. The reason I didn't find it before is another one - once in the vicinity of Mata-Rodona, in order to reach the starting point of the way, you have to walk right through an area full of humming beehives. One would think that no bee-owner ever placed his hives next to a public, albeit small, path, but that's clearly not the case. After having passed by the busy insects a small trail enters the forest. It first leads to the masia's spring and then suddenly takes advantage of a diagonal ramp amid the rock wall. By means of that ramp I got up the barrier and soon found myself next to the flag. 
Above Mata-Rodona
The before mentioned diagonal ascend is short, but due to its location and it's clever making use of the wall's only feeble point, it gives a very nice and elegant note to this recommendable hike.
All in all I needed 3 hours for this 34km long trip, including about half an hour for the part I did on foot.

No comments: